The 13 Scariest Movie on Netflix!
Okay, horror fans! It’s officially October – Halloween is coming up and it’s time to talk about Scary Movies! Personally, I’m not much of a horror fan. It’s only during this creepy month of October that I get excited about scaring myself silly. So, with that in mind, I’ve decided to post this year’s list(s) of movies by platform. We’ll do a list of “13 Scariest” for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and HBO Max. Let’s start with Netflix (since I’m currently watching “Midnight Mass”!).
13. “Creep” (2015) – From the warped mind Patrick Brice (who co-stars along with the ever-freaky Mark Duplass) this found-footage thriller will have you flipping on the light switched on your way to bed! Enjoy!
12. “Fear Street pt.2 – 1978” (2021) – So, go ahead and watch the entire “Fear Street” trilogy. You won’t be sorry! But keep in mind that this threesome of campy retro fright-fests are all good (think “Scream” if it was rated R), but “Part 2” is without a doubt the scariest and best of the three.
11. “Midnight Mass” (2021) – From Mike Flanagan and the team who brought us “The Haunting of Hill House” and “Haunting of Bly Manor” here comes the scariest miniseries yet! “Midnight Mass” brings back much of the “Haunting Of” cast. Annabeth Gish and Kate Siegel are back, and Hamish Linklater is a great addition to this ensemble repertory. This is a 7-part miniseries, and you GOTTA watch it after sunset! Oh…and usher your casts out of the room before you start watching. Trust me.
10. “Unfriended” (2014) – We talked about this one last year. I had intended to skim it…just to see if it held up 7 years later. I promise it does! Here’s a non-spoiler set up: A few friends are all talking on social media, when one-by-one, terrible thing happen to them. The entire plot unfolds via texting, Facebook messaging, phone-play and other 21st century dynamics. Very clever! And (even 7 years later) still very original!
9. “Shutter Island” (2010) – I’ve said it before. Two things guaranteed to scare me are Demonic Possession and Insanity. Because, like, what can you do? You can’t hide from ol’ Beelzebub, and you can’t outrun crazy! This movie – without a doubt one of the best horror films ever made – stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, Emily Mortimer, Michelle Williams, and (wait for it) Max Von Sydow! It’s a brain twister that takes place in an Asylum on a remote island (like Midnight Mass). Oh…and it’s directed by Martin Scorsese. So there ya go!
8. “Insidious” (2010) – What is it about Patrick Wilson that makes any movie he’s in just a little bit creepier? Also, this is the first James Wan movie to appear on these lists, but it sure won’t be the last! Wan has directed the “Conjuring” series, the “Annabelle” movies, the “Nun”, and a dozen of the scariest movies made in the past 10 years!
7. “The Ring” (2002) – Look, I know the characters and premise have saturated popular culture since it was first released nearly 20 years ago. but it holds up! I re-watched this one over the summer, and I gotta say: It might be the scariest PG-13 movie on Netflix!
6. “The Green Inferno” (2013) – I promised some of y’all that we’d stay away from the gory stuff this year. But this Eli Roth gore-fest is actually pretty dang good. Go ahead and get spaghetti & meatballs for takeout, then settle in and watch this one alone. (ahem) Yeah. Riiiiight.
5. “The Strangers” (2008) – I watched this one over the weekend, and it is STILL freaking me out! (shudder) It’s good to see Liv Tyler back in the movies, and this is a horrifying horrific horror film! Yeeeesh!
4. “The Conjuring” (2013) – They say you always remember your first. And this James Wan original is the film that opened the doors to the entire Conjuring-Annabelle-Nun Universe. And it’s a good one! Loosely based on true events that date back to the Salem Witch Trials, Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lilly Taylor and Ron Livingston are great together.
3. “Gerald’s Game” (2017) – People always say “But this is a GOOD Stephen King adaptation!” ….so, I’ll avoid that cliche and just say “STEPHEN FREAKING KING!” Directed by Mike Flanagan (Bly Manor, Hill House, Midnight Mass, etc.) and starring Carla Gugino and Bruce Greenwood, the old horror trope “if you fool around, you’ll be punished somehow” holds up here. Nicely! Or maybe “not-so-nicely”.
2. “Bird Box” (2018) – I’m not sure it’s entirely appropriate to watch this during an actual pandemic. But if you wanna scare yourself, this will do the trick! I’d never thought of Sandra Bullock as a horror movie actress, but I will from now on!
1. “The Perfection” (2019) – You mean this movie has been out for 2 years, and I’m just now hearing about it? And it stars Allison Williams? And it’s a Body Horror meets Psychological Thriller? Next time, tell me about these things! How can we have a twisted friendship like this if I can’t count on you to tell me what’s new in the theater?! It gave me a pretty good scare.