It’s Time To Talk About the 91st Academy Awards!
Great movies…some surprises…and oh, those little gold statue dudes! The 91st annual Academy Awards “Oscar” telecast is gonna happen on Feb. 24th on ABC.
Often, whenever my family and I see a flick, we walk out of the theater talking about that movie’s Oscar Chances. I think the first film that we genuinely though had a chance this year was “A Star Is Born“. And then the Freddie Mercury thing, “Bohemian Rhapsody“. Of course, “BlacKKKlansman” was pretty dang entertaining. Spike’s movies almost always are. And “Green Book“? Are you kidding? A true story! Plus, probably the best Super Hero Flick ever, “Black Panther“. And “The Favourite“? Oh. Em. Gee. It was fantastic! PLUS it has all those things that The Academy loves: powdered wigs, classical music, lush cinematography, foppish Brits and gals with big…monologues. When I saw it, I thought “Wow, this is gonna win Best Picture!” But then I saw “Bohemian Rhapsody” a second time. Amazing.
So! We have lots of great ones to choose from this time ’round.
Here are the noms!
Black Panther (Kevin Feige, Producer)
BlacKkKlansman (Sean McKittrick, Jason Blum, Raymond Mansfield, Jordan Peele and Spike Lee, Producers)
Bohemian Rhapsody (Graham King, Producer)
The Favourite (Ceci Dempsey, Ed Guiney, Lee Magiday and Yorgos Lanthimos, Producers)
Green Book (Jim Burke, Charles B. Wessler, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly and Nick Vallelonga, Producers)
Roma (Gabriela Rodriguez and Alfonso Cuaron, Producers)
A Star Is Born (Bill Gerber, Bradley Cooper and Lynette Howell Taylor, Producers)
Vice (Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, Adam McKay and Kevin Messick, Producers)
* Johnny’s Pick: Although “Bohemian Rhapsody” was my personal favo…er, the one I liked the mostest, I’m betting on “Favourite” to win.
Alfonso Cuaron (Roma)
Yorgos Lanthimos (The Favourite)
Spike Lee (BlacKkKlansman)
Adam McKay (Vice)
Pawel Pawlikowski (Cold War)
* The Academy seems to be itching to give Roma one of the bigger awards this year. But they seldom split the “Director” and “Picture” Oscars. This time? I bet they’ll do it. Alfonso Cuaron for Best Director.
Yalitza Aparicio (Roma)
Glenn Close (The Wife)
Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
Lady Gaga (A Star Is Born)
Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)
* They’ll give this one to Glenn Close, even though Olivia Coleman was a tour de force in ‘Favourite’
Christian Bale (Vice)
Bradley Cooper (A Star Is Born)
Willem Dafoe (At Eternity’s Gate)
Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
Viggo Mortensen (Green Book)
* Gotta be Remi Malek for his portrayal of Freddie Mercury in “Bohemian Rhapsody”!
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Amy Adams (Vice)
Marina de Tavira (Roma)
Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk)
Emma Stone (The Favourite)
Rachel Weisz (The Favourite)
* Regina King could walk away with this one, but Emma Stone deserves it, IMO. So…the Academy will probably give it to Marina de Tavira just to make me look bad!
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Mahershala Ali (Green Book)
Adam Driver (BlacKkKlansman)
Sam Elliott (A Star Is Born)
Richard E. Grant (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)
Sam Rockwell (Vice)
* Richard E. Grant won the Indie Spirit for this…and Mahershala Ali won the Golden Globe. My pick? Mahershala Ali for “True detective”! – sigh –
Can I just throw this in? The Mr. Rogers doc, “Won’t You Be My Neighbor” should win Best Documentary. And ‘KINDNESS‘ should be what we all strive for more of during the upcoming year. Please?
- These are merely –my- predictions. A goofy Methodist guy from Memphis, TX. What do – I – know? So, ladies and gentlemen ….please…no wagering.
-Johnny Black(Source: Hollywood Reporter)