I will confess, if I’m going to partake in an adult beverage, it is usually wine. I love it’s taste, the bouquet, and how it can make even a plain old hamburger taste a little bit better! But, I didn’t realize until recently that there are certain mistakes that lots of wine drinkers make. If you’re a wine drinker like I am, get ready to be embarrassed and get a couple of laughs too.
- First of all, Hold your wine glass by the stem. Not the bulb. There are several reasons for this. For one, you can swirl the wine easier making it more flavorful and helping you to appreciate the wine’s “nose.” Plus, when you hold the bulb, you warm the wine quickly with your body heat, and the glass itself gets fingerprints. If you only have stemless glasses…carry on!
- Damaging the cork, and getting little pieces of cork in the wine. I have found using a winged cork screw, and taking it just a turn or two deeper into the bottle usually allows for a clean pull.
- Mispronouncing the name of the wine you order.
- Serving white wine with red meat. Red wine has more tannins and compliment a nice fatty piece of meat better. If you don’t believe me, try having a glass of white wine with a steak.
- Don’t fill a wine glass to the top. After a long day…Don’t tempt me. LOL Seriously, wine has to breathe. It needs air to bring out the flavor and bouquet.
- Putting ice cubes in wine.
- Drinking straight out of the bottle.
- Adding coke or lemonade to wine to water it down. (Whaaaaat??)
- Using a corkscrew on a twist off cap.
- Pretending you know sophisticated terms to describe how a wine tastes.
What is YOUR Favorite wine? Do You Have Any Wine Tips For The Rest Of Us?
For more mistakes wine drinkers make visit Virgin Wines