Take the Scary Movie Challenge! 30 Scary Movies in 30 Daze!
Okay, friends and fiends alike! We’ve been waiting for 11 months and now it’s time! Let’s get some SCARY MOVIES on the box! The air is getting cooler, the sun is going down earlier, and Halloween is coming up soon! So let’s do our best and try to absorb 30 great horror movies in the next 30 days. Can you handle it? I mean, we’ve got the usual onslaught of streaming content PLUS the football. It’s gonna take a lot. Stronger people then us have tried and failed. Thank you have what it takes? Well then…here we go!
This year, I’ve decided to cut the body up into bite-sized pieces for easier digestion (see what I did there? Right away, we’re jumping all MACABRE and whutnot). With your permission, we’ll divide this year’s “30 Movies” list into 4 smaller lists, and drop one each week. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! Hopefully, on Tuesday.
1. “The Old Ways” (2020) – “She is…a BRUJA!” Yikes. Ugh. Yeesh! I’m not even sure I should post this. But we gotta start somewhere, right?
2. “Pan’s Labyrinth” (2006) – Guillermo Del Toro. A master storyteller (and they’re all creepy).
3. “Sweetheart” (2019) – A tasty little Blumhouse horror movie. You’ll like this one.
4. “Hush” (2016) – Shhhh! There’s scary stuff out there!
5. “1922” (2017) – Based on a Stephen King short story. This is one instance where the translation to film works very well.
6. “Freaks” (2018) – Bruce Dern is still a bad dude who walks with a swagger.
7. “Cargo” (2017) – Martin Freeman from the ‘Hobbit’ films stars in this horror movie from the ‘Babadook’ team.
8. “Girl On the 3rd Floor” (2019) – This is a horror movie within a horror movie. *NOT* for in easily offended! And not what you’re expecting.
9. “Insidious” (2010) – Any time director James Wan is working with Patrick Wilson (The Conjuring flicks), you know you’re in for a scary ride!
10. “Devil In Ohio” (2022) – This is an 8-part series from Netflix, and it’s definitely a slow-burner. This one’s not as good as their previous year’s offerings (Haunting of Bly Manor; Haunting of Hill House; Midnight Mass) but those are tough acts to follow! “Ohio” is very much worth a watch. It’s early in the Horror Movie Season, so give this a chance and let me know what you think.
Okay! Enjoy this list and we’ll have 10 more next week. The fun and frights are just beginning! Oh…and by the way?